07 February 2009

I = GENIUS

Before I get started, I just want to voice an observation I have noticed:

Is it just me, or does it sure as hell seem like Tony Reagins has it out for GA?  Every time anything is brought up about the free agent market, whether it be that the Angels are looking for another bat, or for an even more specific LEFT-handed bat, the first thing out of his mouth is that "Anderson's return is still unlikely."  Interesting.  What are your thoughts on that one?

Okay, so. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely sick of this off-season already.  It's probably the biggest mess of an off-season I've ever seen.  I can't believe some of the names still not signed to a team.  And how many days are left before Spring Training? Not many...

I find it hilarious that Manny Ramirez continues to reject the offers he gets from the Dodgers.  I wonder if it's just because he's so stubborn that he's POSITIVE someone out there is going to offer him up something good at the last minute, or if he really doesn't want to go back to the Dodgers THAT badly.  It's so pathetic, it's laughable.  Especially with the fact that more and more teams continue to voice their opinion on the matter; more teams have made it overly clear that they want nothing to do with the guy, than teams that would actually want him, at a reasonable price of course.

And as far my title goes, I am a genius.  I totally called that the Teixeira trade would be a waste from day ONE.  No, from day NEGATIVE one, as I called it before it was even set in stone.  We should've kept Kotchman, let him grow, and seen where it could've gone.  Though Tex was somewhat productive in the post-season, he was not doing what he was brought to do - and that, was to jack it out of the park.  So how did that power bat serve all of you calling for one?  We got him, and what did it do for us? Nothing.  He didn't hit a single (no pun intended) multi-base hit, and it seemed that all our clutch hitting was coming off the bat of Torii Hunter.  The only way I personally think the outcome would've been different is if Izturis' bat was in the lineup.  Just throwing that out there.

Keeping Kotchman would've made all the difference RIGHT NOW.  So much for giving into all the media pressure for the big bat. Let's just hope Kendry Morales can pull out of the minors and into the majors more successfully than people like Brandon Wood... *shudders*. If I remember correctly, the Rays made it to the world series without any real "big bat."  In fact, they looked strikingly similar to the type of Angels team I know and love.  

You know we could solve all our problems in one deal - Kendrick, Wood, and possibly Gary Matthews (to free up the outfield) - for Jake Peavy.  Kendrick, and to a lesser degree Wood, have both had several chances to prove themselves, and I can find plenty of holes in whatever production people claim they have.  I have done it several times, and so I'm stepping off arguing it and simply calling it what it is.  And Matthews' injuries (along with Kendrick's hamstrings) has made his playing time dwindle significantly with his production as well.  I actually like Gary, and think he's a great fielder, I'm just not seeing his hitting being productive enough in the lineup to take away spots from guys like Reggie Willits and Juan Rivera who have proven themselves and who also have other talents that benefit the team, all things aside.  Peavy would fill that fifth starter whole that the Angels currently have, and would obviously make the Angel's pitching staff - up and down and sideways - the best in baseball.  Who would need a power bat then? 

I say it's a great idea. It keeps Izturis and Aybar both in the lineup, keep Figgins at third for a very fast infield, and gives that spot in the outfield to some rotation, allowing both Rivera and Willits a more prominent role, and a more consistent playing time which is essential to both staying in any kind of groove (and when they are in grooves, as Reggie proved in 07 and Juan in 06, they are incredible assets).  

Just some food for thought.  It'll never happen because the staff is so delusional about certain ideas and players, but just like I called the Tex deal, I'm calling that this one would make a difference, and a very positive one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment