06 July 2008

ANGELS PITCHING GETS SOME CREDIT

Aside from the fact that seven Red Sox will be driving across a couple states for their popular-vote trip to the All-Star game, three Angels pitchers got the vote of confidence to join in the midsummer classic at Yankee Stadium, cross-country.

 

Though not a single position player has made the popularity contest, which is both understandable, and not at the same time.  The Angels lead the West by a good six games, and are the second best team record-wise under an extremely surprising Tampa Bay surge.  If you base this contest on ability and talent, players like Casey Kotchman should have had no problem making the All-Star roster.  However, I will concede to understanding the absence of Vlad Guerrero who, though a historically amazing player, has had a rough start.  But I have to argue, Alex Rodriguez is in no way the best third basemen in the league, despite his incredible hitting.  Nor is Derek Jeter anywhere near the best short stop, either.  But I’ll refrain from speaking my mind on this issue any further than this.

 

It is very nice to see the Angels getting recognized as having obviously the best pitching staff in baseball.  Two starters have made the roster, including Joe Saunders who has the best win record at 12 in the AL (tied for first with NL’s Brandon Webb at 12-4 as well) as well as a healthy 3.04 ERA, and Ervin Santana who has been an incredibly welcomed surprise to Angels fans who remember his 2007 woes, who has a record of 9-3 with an ERA of 3.28 and 106 strikeouts.  The Angels closer, Frankie Rodriguez has also made the roster again, after saving the game last year after Mariano Rivera nearly lost it for the AL (maybe this time they’ll actually start him as the closer).  We won’t know until later who will actually get the nod as starting pitcher.  I’d put my money on Saunders, but the Angels are so poorly recognized as a credible force that I doubt it really will.  I’m sure it’ll be Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee. 

 

I don’t think the Angels really care about the popular vote of a generally east-coast biased sport.  They pack their place out every game, over 40,000 fans easy.  And the fans, I can safely say, generally care about the game and about the team.  And really – I’m going to speak on behalf of most of the fans I know – we care little for any specific player over the team.  Rather, to us, it is the team, the whole pitching staff, the whole lineup, always the whole.  So even if our players don’t make it to the midsummer classic, we know we have a shot at the post-season, and we won’t settle for anything less than the World Series.  Pitching staff, bullpen, defense – all solid.  The offense will come around.  But games are won more often on solid pitching than on solid offense.  Offense is nice, yes.  But without someone holding the other team back, you can hit over ten a game, and the team can still out-do you.  It’s simple.  So for everyone who is always asking me why the Angels suck this year and can’t hit the ball, I just say “look at the numbers.  We still win. The end.”

Yes, I said “we.”  Don’t judge.

 

As far as my final words on the All-Star rosters, I feel bad that Tampa Bay hasn’t been more represented.  People are voting too much by last year and not enough at all by this year.  Tampa Bay is clearly a force to be reckoned with, and so far have proved that they can definitely be the best team in baseball this year.  In fact, I’m must more afraid as an Angels fan of Tampa Bay than Boston this year.  Just not as solid as last year, pitching definitely shows that.  However, I really hope that everyone goes out and votes for Evan Longoria, who has shown himself to be definitely one of the up and coming new stars, and a solid third basemen.  Not only is he good, he’s from my hometown, and graduated alongside many of my close friends.  Vote for him. Now. Go. DO IT.


I hope the Rays destroy the AL East.  That would make my baseball-year. 9 = 8.  

No comments:

Post a Comment