14 July 2009

TRIUMPHANT RETURN? part 1: my own experiences at the park

Well, I've avoided posting this season because of the sheer volume of things going on in my own life, not to mention the sheer volume of craziness going on in the world of baseball this year. There is so much to say and I doubt I can fully cover all of it in one post. But it has been requested to me on several occasions now that I continue posting my thoughts. I don't know why anyone would want to know what I think, but I'll throw it all out there anyway.

This season has been extremely, well, interesting for a lack of a more descriptive word. I have seen my share of games this season, from a number of different views of the stadium. The first game I attended this season was on Wednesday, April 8. My boyfriend and I took our seven-dollar seats in section 425 in the lower view mvps (we have grown accustomed to these seats -- I'm fairly certain that if I could pull season tickets in those seats, I'd have no problem going to every game and loving it, even from up high). We watched, gen
uinely excited, as Nick Adenhart made his season debut. We'd been looking forward to his presence in our rotation, especially with three empty holes left by injuries.



When I woke up the next morning and went to work, everything felt normal -- I taught my first and second period classes just as usual, and returned to my room for my prep period. I turned on my computer, like normal, checked email and filled out my online roll sheets, and then did my daily routine of checking various sports-related websites. I was in absolute disbelief at the headlines, and the pictures. I'm not going to go into frivolous detail about it, but it took a few days before the sadness even waned. I guess some people think it is stupid for me to be sad and upset over the death of someone I didn't know personally, but those people can grow hearts. It was so strange and eerie that my boyfriend and I had watched him pitch just hours before... I just hope that the guy who did it gets served with Justice. And people like Bellasario (relief pitcher for the Dodger) and Chamberlain (pitcher for the Yankees) feel like the biggest jackasses on the planet -- because they are.

On a lighter note, however...

About a month later, my boyfriend invited me to another game. No, this is not uncommon. However, he did get tickets from his company, and we excepted to sit in club level, which was cool in and of itself, since I'd never sat in the club level at the stadium (well, at least until a few weeks later when his family ended up getting club-level tickets from a friend). But the surprises to follow were mind-blowing. We arrived at the stadium, met up in front with our host, and proceeded through the gate and into the elevator that would take us to our seats. When we got into the elevator, our host spoke with the elevator operator (yes, there is a guy that pushes the buttons FOR you) and pushed a button, and all of a sudden our elevator was not going up, but down. My boyfriend and I looked at each other with the indication of "no way, that can't be right." The doors open and we see a series of halls. The signs on the wall indicate numbers that go off in both directions, as well as "home dugout" and "visitor dugout." Yes, that's where we were.

We get into our "club" house, and this is what we see:

And then we walked up to our actual seats, and THIS is what we saw:


Isn't it beautiful? I went absolutely crazy. I couldn't breathe. But I could take pictures, and I definitely did. Here are a few:










Oh yeah, and THIS was our neighbor:


So this was probably the coolest night, pretty much ever. Even though we lost (the only game that series that we did lose to Boston, of all teams) it was an awesome game. Weaver pitched well, left with a no decision, and then the bullpen, notorious for blowing games in the early stages of the season, did what it was accustomed to doing at that point, which is another story entirely.

And that was just a little of my personal experience of the first half. Tomorrow, I'll go into more detail about what I think of the actual team and game play of the first half, and maybe even some predictions of the second half to come!

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment