15 May 2008

We Don't Exist to the Media

*soapbox speech begins*

California used to be an important place – home to Hollywood, the place to see all the major stars, the place of movie productions, the place of television stations and filming, the place of music industry and radio… but not only media.  It’s also the place of constant summer, the pacific ocean, Disneyland, and skiing only another hour drive away.  Not to mention, the third-largest commercial economy in the world.

It used to be that everyone was in love with California - especially the “OC” (though I, being myself from LA, don’t really much understand the hype).  But lately, us Angels fans should be feeling a bit dejected.

I often look to sports news and television to keep up with the rest of baseball which regional television prevents me from seeing on a daily basis.  However, the more and more I read, the more media bias I see, and the more sickened I become.  I understand that everything has an inherent bias.  We all have our opinion of things, and we’re all entitled so.  But the purpose of media is to present facts and information to all audiences.  And without reliability, honesty, and timeliness, news loses credibility.  As of late, the media has really been losing it, at least for me.

A lot has been going on in baseball lately, from some crazy unassisted triple plays, to some excellent pitching matchups, to production from unexpected players.  But I’m noticing some trends.  Only certain teams ever get talked about.  I’ve read so much about Chipper Jones, Boston, both New York teams, Detroit’s ridiculously strange streaks, and the Cubs that I feel like I’ve seen every single game.

And no, there is nothing at all wrong with talking about these teams.  But what about fans that want to hear about THEIR respective teams?’

It’s been a common things since the Angels were the “California Angels.”  I’m starting to really think the media just hates the Angels.  They never get talked about, unless they do something crazy, or if they lose.  For example, this whole last week has really shown “true colors.”  When the Angels got swept by Tampa, the media had plenty to say about the Rays’ game and how great they’ve been playing (which is true; even I’m surprised at how good they’ve been doing with a young team, which has always been something I’ve supported – a team of “nobodies” so to speak).  When the Angels won a couple games, nothing.  MLB.com had nothing to really say, ESPN never has anything to say, FOX sports, etc. on down the line.  It wasn’t until the loss last night that the media spoke again on the issue “Lackey’s start spoiled by Quinten’s Homer.”  Yeah, but do we realize that Lackey’s first start was, for him, a personal success?  A quality start for his first time back from an injury? He left in a tie?  Of course not.  We just like hearing that the Angels lost, right?

I don’t know why it is either.  About a week ago, when the Angels were at least a game up on Oakland, Baseball Tonight’s comment was something to the effect of “With the win today, the Angels continue to keep pace with the A’s.”  Now that just doesn’t make sense to me – how do you keep pace with someone who’s behind you? Wouldn’t THEY be keeping pace with YOU?  It’s just little statements like this that have been crawling under my skin lately.

I don’t think that the Angels should be put in priority, of course not.  But I think they ought to get equal treatment in the media that is supposed to supply nonbiased material.  Not everyone out there is a fan of the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Cubs.  Us Californians would like to get some information about our teams, too.  And without the loaded pessimism of the media.

*Soapbox speech over*

No comments:

Post a Comment